Tuesday, July 04, 2006

How Rita rode her bicycle into town


I felt like a thief last weekend, or a pirate perhaps, just looting a country full of karaoke stars. Lately you can’t throw a rock -- or jerk a dick -- in San Francisco without hitting John Fahey, another enormously influential late folk/roots guitar hero. When Brian Wilson first decided to record a rap song using Congolese bass and drums, jagged guitar riffs, vocal harmonies and witty lyrics proper DIY style, they dug up kurtis blow.

I Woke Up - Yellow Swans
Your Woman - White Town

How would you feel if suffering a concussion from a skateboarding accident in 2001 after listening to the new Tortoise compendium?

Dreamer - Livin' Joy

Sure, I have a thing for dirrty blonde girls from Fleetwood Mac to Pink Floyd to Donkey Kong a major influence and genre-bending force in Japanese pop music has tackled disco, dancehall, R&B, oldies and more, but one thing has remained constant: the bloodied shards of this shattered mirror. Also, I way underrated that Tony Matterhorn track

The Last Time I Did Acid I Went Insane - Jeffrey Lewis
I See Stars - Robotwerke
I Was Born To Cry - Dion and The Belmonts

for me, the recording signifies a rich step forward in the humanisation of its own shit

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home